Chautauqua Brick Co. Inc. began operations in 1948 manufacturing concrete Brick and Block in the Old Carlson Barn which is still it’s current location in Bemus Point. William Bartell and Arlon Shick started the business and were later joined by Richard Bartell and Ross Briggs completing the family run business. They continued operations adding retail sales of clay bricks and custom stone cutting.
Bill Briggs became President of the company in 1979 and was joined by his brother Robert in 1982. Bill quickly saw an opportunity to serve construction needs of the Southern Tier and added Lumber, Plywood and assorted Building Materials to Chautauqua Brick's retail offer. Chautauqua Brick has built it’s business over the years based on QUALITY materials and Personal service at a fair price.